Hi!

> I'm disappointed by the last minute kitchen-sink dump of RFCs being
> raised, rushed through discussion, and voted on with minimal periods.
> While I'm all for delivering useful features to end users, I don't
> want us to get in the habit of seeing months of quiet followed by
> weeks of chaos every year around this time.  This isn't even new,
> though it seems like it's becoming more commonplace with the adoption
> of the yearly cadence.

Yeah, I think it is natural (when deadline is closing in, people start
to rush in), but not good. And I would feel for big features, like typed
properties or friend classes (without touching its merits) I think they
should target 7.4.

In the future, I think the expectation should be that if you have a
large improvement it should not be expected to land in the version that
is already in the release cycle, even before feature freeze (especially
if "before" is measured in mere days). Large features take time to
figure out and stabilize, and that should be the expectation. So you can
write the RFC and open the vote whenever you want and whenever the life
allows you the time to do it, but the expectation of where it lands
should not be "immediately", especially for big ones.

What is "big" is subjective of course, but deep language level changes
(typing, strictness, changing how major parts of language work, major
language feature like, I dunno, named arguments?) are big, and most
deprecations or individual function additions aren't.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com