On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:36 AM Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You'd still see the DSN in the traces.

My understanding is that if using pdo.dsn.mysql via INI, you wouldn't
see the username / password in traces. I only learned about this
configuration reading through Sjon's PR, but looks reasonable.

To the original issue Lester faces:

The crux of all this is "don't use exceptions to do customer support"!

Most, if not all, log aggregation software (Splunk, ELK-stack, etc.)
give you the ability to configure dashboards or reports to highlight
different levels of "fail-boat" in the environment. We do this in our
environment, which is very heterogeneous and uncontrolled; filled with
undergraduates, graduates, faculty, staff, other IT organizations and
everything in-between. Not only do I have to deal with *my* logs, but
I also have to help facilitate improvements to tenant applications. If
it were me, I would be looking to your system administrators to
improve the configuration and management of your application
monitoring. If you don't have any automated monitoring (Splunk or ELK
(free), Telegraf/InfluxDB, Nagios even), look into these things.
Configure these to solve this problem rather than having customers be
the "free" monitoring solution as a default.

If I tried to pitch to my team that we would just use our users as THE
monitoring solution, I'd not only get some strange looks, but also a
can of surströmming thrown in my face. As developers and system
administrators, we can do better by our users to prevent these types
of errors before they hit them. We can do this through improvements to
our software design life cycle (or, to keep it simple... write tests
and develop somewhere other than production). Ultimately, we're never
going to catch everything... but customers reporting literal
exceptions should be... exceptional :)

P.S. I fully understand the "real world" sentiment even if I perceive
a different reality than yours. In the "real world", people get set in
their ways and higher-ed is no better a place that I have found to
observe this. However, in my experience, even the saltiest of faculty
with their 50 year old "Fortran codes" are amenable to change if it
makes their lives easier. Applying some of these strategies *will*
improve quality of work-life and *will* improve your business. Having
customers report low-level exceptions / stack-traces cannot be "good
for business" and must lower confidence in the product.

Cheers,

--
Dustin Wheeler | Software Developer
NC State University