On 5 August 2019 14:33:53 BST, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:
>When someone creates an RFC, near the top of that page they should
>create a link to a separate page that will contain negative feedback.
>People other that the RFC author are free to put whatever negative
>feedback think is appropriate on that 'negative feedback' page.

Hi Dan,

I think this is a really sensible idea.

The key difference between an RFC and a discussion thread is that it presents a
summary or synthesis, which can be much more easily digested than a full
discussion. It is also, crucially, editable, so can be reworded or corrected to
clarify points; in an email thread, a reader often has to read the first
attempt at conveying something, then follow a series of errata down the
sub-thread.

As Zeev mentioned, it might be enough to have a standard format for this,
rather than always requiring it.

I also think the term "negative feedback" might be a bit ... negative.
Elsewhere in your message, you used "dissenting", which I think captures the
essence better. The difference from the main page is not inherently about
positive vs negative, but about allowing different voices.

Regards,

--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]