> "It's like our company car still works, but it no longer tighter meets
> emissions
> standards so they won't let us take it into the city any more"

That's a very interesting way to describe error level changes of a language.
I wonder what happens when the manager asks - "What's with those guys who
bought python/java trucks, go-carts? Do they also have these co2 problems?"

Sorry for offtopic ..

On a semi related note if the idea/discussion/RFC is for a betterment of
language and future regarding warning/errors, it has always puzzled me:
- why the engine is so minimalistic/unspecified regarding max_input_vars where
the error is just "php-fpm: PHP Warning:  Unknown: Input variables exceeded
1000. To increase the limit change max_input_vars in php.ini. in Unknown on
line 0" which isn't very helpful.
Also is E_WARNING enough in this case since the variables are forcefully
truncated?

- and the second is memory_limit which again without any external tooling
and/or debug mode while shows the file and line doesn't actually produce
meaningful error/backtrace to indicate the problematic part (especially in
production environments)
We have patched the zend_alloc (in a rough way by searching through
symbol_table for fastcgi params) to print more details at least in the fpm-sapi
to be able to replicate the issue more easily, but then again I doubt it's the
right way to do so..

While the second is hardly related (except the fact it's some sort of
programming error condition) doesn't the first one need the same
reclassification of error level as undefined variables?

rr