On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 at 11:45, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> > On 30 Aug 2019, at 12:33, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi internals,
> >
> > Relating to the recent discussions on undefined variables & co. One thing
> > that is particularly annoying about the undefined variable case is that
> our
> > default error_reporting level (without a php.ini) does not include
> E_NOTICE.
> >
> > Thankfully distros do tend to have more reasonable defaults, but if you
> > spend as much time with custom PHP builds as I do, not seeing *anything*
> > for undefined variables is a pretty big annoyance.
> >
> > Does anyone see an issue with making error_reporting=E_ALL the default in
> > PHP 8? It can of course still be manually downgraded via php.ini and
> > php.ini-production will retain the existing recommendation that excludes
> > E_DEPRECATED/E_STRICT.
> >
> > PR: https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/4659
>
> By the way - I'd consider going a bit further than that, and re-sync our
> internal defaults with the values of php.ini-development.  In the past -
> when we had -dist and -recommended - the intended behavior was that having
> php.ini-dist as your php.ini would be identical to not having a php.ini
> file at all.  I think it can be useful if we do the same for
> php.ini-development (by changing the internal defaults to correspond to it
> of course, not the other way around) instead of having to agree
> individually on each change.  For the future, agreeing on a change in
> php.ini-development would directly imply changing the internal defaults.
>
> Zeev
> --

I'm not sure we can totally execute on that otherwise we would need to
change the default of the short_tag directive, which from my understanding
was one of the pain points of the Short Tag RFC.
Other than that I wholeheartedly agree that syncing the dev one with the
defaults would be a good idea but then I'm not totally sure what it's point
*would* be.

Best regards

George P. Banyard