Hi internals,

I'd like to start the discussion on union types again, with a new proposal:

Pull Request: https://github.com/php/php-rfcs/pull/1
Rendered Proposal:
https://github.com/nikic/php-rfcs/blob/union-types/rfcs/0000-union-types-v2.md

As an experiment, I'm submitting this RFC as a GitHub pull request, to
evaluate whether this might be a better medium for RFC proposals in the
future. It would be great if we could keep the discussion to the GitHub
pull request for the purpose of this experiment (keep in mind that you can
also create comments on specific lines in the proposal, not just the
overall discussion thread!) Of course, you can also reply to this mail
instead. The final vote will be held in the wiki as usual.

Relatively to the previous proposal by Bob&Levi (
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/union_types), I think the main differences in this
proposal are:
 * Updated to specify interaction with new language features, like full
variance and property types.
 * Updated for the use of the ?Type syntax rather than the Type|null syntax.
 * Only supports "false" as a pseudo-type, not "true".
 * Slightly simplified semantics for the coercive typing mode.

Regards,
Nikita