Hi!

> That is the purpose of the eventual vote, is it not? To allow the
> community to make that determination.

Not exactly - there should be a good reason before the RFC comes to a
vote. If you're not sure there's a VERY good reason, there shouldn't be
the RFC about it at all, at least not in voting phase. RFC process
shouldn't be just "let's throw it against the wall and see if anything
sticks", it should be used responsibly.

> Regardless of the outcome of this specific RFC, I am of the firm belief
> that it's important to be able to re-visit past choices every now and
> then. That applies to most things, not just PHP.

In abstract, this a banality, yes, it is important, sometimes. In
specific, I've seen a torrent of BC-breaking proposals lately that seem
to have no good reason except for removing stuff because... I'm not even
sure because of what, most of it seems to be vague stuff like
"unintuitive" and "you can do it in other way". I think effort spent on
breaking BC without a VERY good reason is a wasted effort. Having as
little syntax constructs and functions as absolutely possible has never
been the goal of PHP, and I am surprised why it is in fashion now.
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com