On 25-10-19 12:22, Nikita Popov wrote:
> I do think that performance considerations are important when it comes to
> new typing features (which is why, for example, we have categorically
> rejected a "typed arrays" implementation that has to check all array
> elements), but don't see union types are particular problematic in that
> regard, beyond what we already have.

While union types barely seem to add to the cost of type checking, I
also understand the general sentiment: Type checks can be expensive,
should we really add more?

Perhaps it might be an idea to wait a little before starting the vote to
show the cost going down as more optimization work is done. Just to
build confidence with those who are hesitant to give it their approval.

Regards,
Dik Takken