Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually
any convenient occasion.  I do it while taking my daily (more or less) 3 mile
walk, while I’m “plodding along”.

While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from
other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the
worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these
suggestions — in roughly 90 minute bites -- helpful in enhancing your own
enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.
__ __

“Five Canadian Thinkers take the IDEAS 'Reasonableness Questionnaire'”
IDEAS - CBC Radio One
Many laws rely on a distinction between reasonable and unreasonable behaviour.
According to the influential American philosopher John Rawls, a liberal
democratic society depends for its existence on the use of "public reason."
Without this basis, Rawls argued, the society's institutions would collapse.
Given the importance of telling reasonableness apart from its opposite, IDEAS
invited five scholars from outside the legal profession to clarify their own
definition of the term.  Each scholar received one hour to answer a five-part
questionnaire aimed at drawing out this definition and revealing any potential
contradictions within it. (54”)
<https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/defining-reasonableness-1.7105506>

“Salman Rushdie"
FRESH AIR - NPR/WHYY Philadelphia
Two nights before he was stabbed onstage at a literary event in 2022, Salman
Rushdie had a nightmare. In his dream, Rushdie was in an ancient Roman
amphitheater, rolling around on the ground while a gladiator with a spear
stabbed down at him.
"It certainly felt very vivid and very actual and very scary," Rushdie says. "I
was rolling about in bed and thrashing around, and my wife had to wake me up."
His immediate impulse was to cancel his upcoming appearance at the Chautauqua
Institution in upstate New York, but then he rationalized his fear away:
"People have dreams. You don't run your daily life because of having a bad
dream. And so I decided I would go," Rushdie says.  (44”)
<https://www.npr.org/2024/04/16/1244847366/salman-rushdie-knife>

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent
material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly
e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further
information and membership information, go to www.cidxclub.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION now available from universal-radio.com, amazon.com.
amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.com.au <http://amazon.com.au/>
Constructive reviews from purchasers welcomed on the Amazon site.