Location: Cardiff, Wales (United Kingdom)
Date: 3.–4.6.2013
Deadline: 1.4.2013

We are delighted to announce the launch of a new AHRC funded research
network called Partitions: What Are They Good For? which is a
comparative partitions studies networkdevoted to cutting-edge,
international and interdisciplinary research on political partitions
across a wide historical and geographical span.

Everyday contemporary life has been shaped, to some extent, by the
political partitioning of nations. 9/11, the continued threat of
nuclear wars, the rising fundamentalist threat of Islam, the
increased military interventions by a 'retaliating' West are all
considered to be some of the results of the partitions of Palestine
and India. For those of us who live in Europe, partitions,
reunifications and the threats of partition (or promises of
independence) punctuate our daily news. For many different reasons,
this is a timely moment to examine the phenomenon of partitions and
their repercussions on a global scale and to see how events, people,
histories and ideas are all powerfully linked to each other.

We propose to organise three symposia over the next few months, all
focussing on different areas in the wide field of partition studies.
These events will be linked with community engagement events of
various kinds, and the best papers and responses from the symposia
will be published as part of an edited collection.

We are now calling for proposals for the first symposium, to be held
on June 3rd-4th at Cardiff University, on "Partition and Cultural
Memory."

Questions we hope to engage with include:

- How is cultural memory formed in the aftermath of a partition?
- What is the relationship between memory and ethnic or racial
  difference?
- How do people remember the nation prior to partition?
- Does the nation-state shape forms of memory?
- What is the relationship between cultural and personal memory in
  partition victims?
- How do post-memories mediate future generations and citizenships?

This list is not intended to be exhaustive and papers on any relevant
topics will be considered. We welcome submissions from any relevant
discipline including literature, history, sociology, philosophy, law,
sociology, cultural studies, women's studies, and politics.

Please submit abstracts of 250 words and a short biographical
statement to <partiti...@cf.ac.uk> by April 1, 2013.

Contact:

Radhika Mohanram
School of English, Communication and Philosophy
Cardiff University
Cardiff, Wales CF10 3EU
United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)29 2087 6151