Location: Brighton (United Kingdom)
Date: 11.–12.7.2013
Deadline: 15.3.2013

Excursions Journal and the University of Sussex Doctoral School are
pleased to announce "Purity", a unique interdisciplinary event, to be
held on the University of Sussex Campus, Falmer, near Brighton, on
Thursday 11th and Friday 12th July 2013.

Excursions encourages scholarly debate between academics of all
disciplines, choosing topics we feel have relevance to diverse
subject areas. We hope this event will encourage cross-disciplinary
debate, inquiry and exploration into the scientific, academic,
sociological and cultural implications of purity in all its forms.

Keynote Speaker:
Robbie Duschinsky, Senior Lecturer in Social Science for Social Work,
University of Northumbria

We have chosen to frame the theme in three ways:
1) Identity States
2) Maths, Music and Drugs
3) Codes of Conduct
These are areas of investigation not only extremely relevant to
current academic discourse, but integral to our understanding of
PURITY in all its connotations and manifestations.

We invite proposals - from all disciplines - for both academic and
artistic contributions to the event. We will consider proposals for
individual academic papers (20 mins), pre-formed panels (comprising a
series of papers each of 20 mins) and presentations on work in
progress (20 mins). The event will include an evening of musical,
dramatic and verbal performances, as well as experiments, which we
encourage proposals for. Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the
event, we strongly welcome proposals which combine creative work,
performance or experiment with a paper on, or discussion of, critical
practice.

We will consider applications dealing with, but not restricted to,
the following components of purity:

1) Identity States
- Economic policies and national identities
- International identity and foreign/domestic policies
- Identity and performance
- Intellectual identity
- Artificial Intelligence and Uncanny Valley
- Electronic identities: passports, biometrics, body scanning,
  profile pages
- Food identities and “positive” consumer choices
- Religious identities
- Germs, cleanliness, illness

2) Maths, Music and Drugs
- Spectral music
- Synaesthesia
- Poisons/toxicology/pharmacology
- Music and brainwaves
- The science of music
- Electronic music
- Creativity and drug use

3) Codes of Conduct
- Marriage and fidelity laws, “honour killings”
- Codes of resistance
- History and evolution of censorship
- Squatting/occupation
- Media protocol and Internet codes
- Bankers’ conduct, financial ethics, benefit fraud and accountability
- Sex and transgression

For both academic papers and creative work, please send abstracts of
no more than 300 words to
<purity-submissi...@excursions-journal.org.uk>, accompanied by your
name, institutional affiliation, email address, a short biography,
and any audiovisual requirements. For creative work, short excerpts
should also be submitted alongside the abstract where possible.

The deadline for submissions is 15th March, 2013.
Selected contributors will be offered the opportunity to publish in a
special issue of Excursions detailing the proceedings of the event.
Please direct any queries to pur...@excursions-journal.org.uk

Contact:

Excursions Journal
University of Sussex