Location: New Delhi (India)
Date: 4.–8.2.2014
Deadline: 5.12.2014

Scholars are increasingly recognising the importance of connectedness
in everyday lives, stories, events and narratives. Recent research on
South Asia has explored these pathways as active in shaping ideas,
institutions and objects, rather than as defined solely by the things
they connect. In step with these trends, the Centre for Historical
Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, looks forward to discuss
Pathways in History: Exploring Connections across Time and Space in
its 2014 Young Scholars' Conference.

We intend to bring together the multiple pathways through which
connections are formed and practised, including, but not limited to:
assimilation, acculturation, appropriation, contestation,
negotiation, and conflict. We envisage peoples, ideas, and things as
embedded in a matrix of connections, and see the pathways which link
them to one another as crucial in defining, shaping and ordering
them. By foregrounding the pathways and exploring how connections are
made through them, we hope to break away from the binaries that often
limit historical agency. Seeing these pathways as active in shaping
ideas, institutions, and objects; rather than seeing them as
determined solely by the things they connect, can open up exciting
new ways of doing history.

Emphasising the importance of pathways and connectedness reaffirms
the premise that the physical does not exist in isolation from the
cognitive ways in which entities represent themselves and interact
with each other. It rejects any notion of the ‘naturalness’ of
entities, arguing instead for their constitution through the ways in
which they relate to each other.

Nor do we believe the pathways themselves to be fixed in time, space,
or meaning, or not implicated by power relationships. Through
creative ways, paths can be both subversive and cooptive of borders
and barriers – indeed, their ubiquity points to the need of exploring
the interplay between power and resistances that shapes and reshapes
the forms of pathways and connections.

In this conference, we intend to explore the constitution and
reconstitution of the pathways through which connections are formed;
the vehicles that traverse these pathways, such as memories,
traditions, and texts; and the transformation these pathways and
connections bring about in peoples, population groups, ideas,
identities, institutions, and the meanings of things. We especially
welcome interventions from other social science disciplines in
understanding how we may explore anew these terrains. We call for
papers that explore these broad ideas across the following sub-themes:

I. Networks, Flows and Circuits

It is in the process of circulation that objects, ideas and peoples
draw upon multiple resources that give them identities, values, and
affiliations. The pathways they move through are crucial to the ways
in which they are defined and ordered.

The flow of knowledges shaping colonies and metropolises, mediated
through learned societies like the Asiatic Society; the movement of
luxury goods through Asian entrepôts and European cities, shaping
tastes and colonial expansion; or the movement of peoples across
regions and empires shaping notions of home and abroad or of the
mainland and the periphery – these are some of the ways scholars have
explored these themes. We invite papers that explore at the
centrality of pathways and circulation through instances as diverse
as flows of capital, trans-regional migration patterns, international
organisations, tastes, and ideas.

II. Creative Pasts: Memories, Traditions and Texts

Memories, traditions and texts are some of the most active vectors
that facilitate a continual engagement between the past and the
present, and often, the future. We intend to look at how events,
things and experiences accrue layers of meanings as they journey
through times and spaces; and how this layering shapes and reshapes
attitudes, anxieties and aspirations. These could be secular as well
as religious, but could also straddle the two, or defy
categorisations.

How do the hadith, the Ramayana traditions, festivals, memoirs,
chronologies, or letters, for instance, illustrate the ways by which
pasts are represented? What is it that makes possible (or impossible)
certain pathways through which performing arts, caste narratives or
political ideologies, engage with older texts and practices, as they
seek to harness the past and the present to achieve a particular
future? What are the accretions and deletions to meaning that occur
as they circulate and pass from one audience to another? For this
subtheme, we invite papers that explore how the multi-layered nature
of memories, traditions and texts allows us to understand the various
ways by which the past presences itself with authority to the
contemporary.

III. Understanding Religious, Cultural and Legal Identities

Identity formation is a continuous process of constitution and
fragmentation through the interplay of diverse ideas, ideologies and
institutions. Being embedded in a matrix of connections, this shaping
and reshaping draws upon a range of interactions and negotiations. We
believe it is futile to pursue a segregationist approach and feel it
necessary to explore the ways in which connectedness provides the
driving force for identities to present and represent themselves.

For instance, Dalit identities can be viewed as constituted in the
interstices within religion, law and culture, drawing upon discourses
from all three fields. Such an approach promises to reveal a more
interactive history of identity – local, regional, national, dalit,
gender – that cuts across polar paradigms of power-resistance or
elite-subaltern. We call for papers that highlight how identities are
constituted through the ways in which they seek to connect with the
world outside them

IV. Pathways across Divides: Boundaries in Flux

Despite their ostensible purpose to demarcate and divide, the
constant subversion of boundaries suggests that these dividing lines
themselves can give rise to pathways and connections between things
on either side. This is true not only of political entities like
states, but also of disciplines, identities, and geographies, to cite
a few examples. For instance, contending ideas speak to each other
and build systems of knowledge across the conceptual frontiers they
build to define themselves. Frontier areas – both across states and
across ecological zones – serve as regions where entities on either
side can look to for negotiations within and between. Boundaries are
rendered fluid as population groups, capital, and labour move across
them. Yet these movements happen precisely because the invisible line
creates conditions on one side that do not exist on the other.

We are looking for papers that track the way pathways cross
boundaries and alter landscapes, by looking at themes such as capital
and labour movements across frontiers, exchanges of ideas between
disciplines, travel literature, and the making of contact zones in
frontier regions. Papers could also explore how the presence of
multiple boundaries – even those that do not coincide – create
linkages: as in the case of fisher folk who cross international
waters by following a resource-based division of the seas, or the
'illegal' pathways created through practices such as smuggling,
undocumented migration, and the policing of borders.

Those who wish to participate should send in 800-1000-word abstracts
of their papers by 5 December 2013. Shortlisted participants selected
after the review process will be notified by 10 December 2013. The
full draft of the paper (5000-8000 words) should reach the organising
committee by 15 January 2013.

At the conference each participant will have 20 minutes to present
her/his paper. The discussion for each session will be led by a
discussant.

Participants will be provided accommodation for five nights (4 – 8
February, 2014), as well as three-tier AC train fare. We are not in a
position to pay airfare for international participants.

All communication should be addressed to: pathwaysinhist...@gmail.com

Contact:

Center for Historical Studies
Jawaharlal Nehru Unviersity