Call for Publications

Theme: The Reception of Greek and Roman Culture in East Asia
Subtitle: Texts and Artefacts, Institutions and Practices
Publication: Edited Volume by Almut-Barbara Renger
Date: 2014
Deadline: 21.12.2013

We are working on an edited volume based on a conference entitled
“The Reception of Greek and Roman Culture in East Asia: Texts &
Artefacts, Institutions & Practices” organized by Professor Renger in
Berlin in July, 2013. In this volume, we attempt to explore the
reception(s) of Greek and Roman culture in East Asia from antiquity
to the present. That is, we seek to explore the movement and
transmission of knowledge between Western antiquity and East Asia as
well as the circulation of this knowledge within East Asia. In
particular, we are interested in the questions of how and why ancient
Greek and Roman texts, images, and material cultures, and the
knowledge and ideas contained within them have been adapted and
refigured in East Asian texts, imagery, and cultural artefacts. This
peer-reviewed volume has been contracted with Brill, and we plan to
publish by late 2014 or early 2015.

We are currently seeking papers that address, in particular, the
reception of Western classical culture in Korea and Japan. If you are
interested in contributing to this volume, please contact us by
sending a paper proposal of 500 words, and a short bio or C.V., to
Dr. Xin Fan, xin....@fredonia.edu, by December 21, 2013.

For more information on the conference in Berlin, visit this webpage:
http://www.geschkult.fu-berlin.de/e/grea/index.html

Contact:

Xin Fan
Assistant Professor of East Asian History
State University of New York at Fredonia
Email: xin....@fredonia.edu
Web: http://www.geschkult.fu-berlin.de/e/grea/

http://interphil.polylog.org

Intercultural Philosophy Calendar: