Location: Santa Cruz, CA (USA)
Date: 12.–13.4.2014

UC Santa Cruz is pleased to announce the "Genomics and Philosophy of
Race" Conference, to be held April 12-13, 2014 in the Kresge Town
Hall on the UCSC campus.

The “Genomics and Philosophy of Race” conference aims to foster a
dialogue about race, and, in particular, about relationships between
ideas of race and modern genomics research. Four panels of experts
and two keynote speakers will consider scientific, historical,
sociological, and philosophical questions: Does contemporary genomics
inform and shift our classifications, conceptualizations, and
consciousness of race? To what extent is race real? Which inferences,
if any, about the body, mind, and culture might race and related
concepts (e.g., ancestry and ethnicity) ground?

We invite students, researchers, and the public at large to join our
conversation. This event is free and open to the public.

AGENDA & PANELISTS:

Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 10am-6pm

Brief Opening Comments:
William A. Ladusaw, UC Sante Cruz, Humanities Dean
Nathaniel Deutsch, UCSC, IHR Director
Rasmus Grønfeldt Winther, PI “Philosophy in a Multicultural Context”

Opening Keynote:
Sarah Richardson, Harvard

Biology Panel:
Bridget Algee-Hewitt, Stanford
Doc Edge, Stanford
Scott Lokey, UCSC
Rasmus Nielsen, UC Berkeley
Noah Rosenberg, Stanford

History Panel:
Nathaniel Deutsch, UCSC
Lisa Gannett, St. Mary’s University
Minghui Hu, UCSC
Carlos López Beltrán, National Autonomous University of Mexico
Paula Moya, Stanford

Sociology Panel:
John Brown Childs, UCSC
Guillermo Delgado-P, UCSC
Hiroshi Fukurai, UCSC
Sandra Harvey, UCSC
Stephanie Montgomery, UCSC

Sunday, April 13, 2014 - 9am-12pm

Philosophy Panel:
Josh Glasgow, Sonoma State
James Griesemer, UC Davis
Jonathan Kaplan, Oregon State University
Roberta Millstein, UC Davis
Rasmus Grønfeldt Winther, UCSC

Closing Keynote:
Quayshawn Spencer, University of San Francisco

This event is presented by the Philosophy in a Multicultural Context
Research Cluster, and co-organized by the Institute for Humanities
Research and Rasmus Grønfeldt Winther.

Conference website:
http://ihr.ucsc.edu/event/multicultural-philosophy-conference/

http://interphil.polylog.org