Location: Prague (Czech Republic)
Date: 4.–6.11.2014
Deadline: 27.6.2014

Since Time Magazine, in the wake of the Arab Spring, named The
Protester the person of the year of 2011, revolts, social unrest and
demands for systemic change have continued to spread, from the
anti-austerity street marches in Europe and the progressive 'No
Borders' global movement, to neo-conservative and xenophobic populist
movements. The history that is currently being (re)written, not only
in North Africa and the Middle East, but also in places like Ukraine
and Thailand, shows us that the threat and promise of large scale
political revolutions is still present across the world. The solidity
that nations strive for is continuously being challenged.

Such moments do not need to be political to have far reaching
consequences. Technological and economic revolutions are continuously
emerging - sometimes being embraced and other times resisted.

As such, nations, societies and institutions are changing as they are
confronted with revolt, revolution and resistance. In this second
conference on Revolt and Revolution, we are trying to make sense of
the complex interplays between order and change. This occurs not
simply in the political sphere, but revolts and revolutions emerge in
the world of art, media, sexuality, gender subcultures and across
institutions such as universities, hospitals and financial
institutions.

The conference aims to explore moments of change that question and
alter established structures. Particularly, we are seeking to gain
insights into the source of such moments and how they gain momentum.

Furthermore, how do established interests react and respond? How do
conventional power structures change and enclose such movements?? How
do citizens and non-citizens shape these moments of change? And what
happens afterwards, when the revolution is "won" and everyday life
awaits?

Proposals, papers, workshops, performances and presentations are
invited on themes such as:

- Reactionary revolts and anti-immigration movements
- The neo-liberal revolution, challenges to capitalism and the
  enclosure of the commons
- Technological revolutions, piracy and the network society.
- Sexual Revolutions
- Post-colonial politics: resistance, revolt and revolution
- The politics and ethics of revolt and revolution
- The role citizens and non-citizens (including refugees, foreign
  workers and travellers) play in protests and revolutions?
- Revolutions in art, media and academia
- Gender in revolutions and social movements
- Power, discourse and language of resistance
- Backlash / Counter-revolutions
- Revolutions lost

We are particularly keen to encourage submissions that are not
subsumed within disciplines, but cut across and between disciplinary
vocabularies to provide new synergies, domains and inter-disciplinary
possibilities. We warmly welcome proposals which go beyond
traditional paper presentations and encompass also panels,
performances and workshops.

In order to support and encourage inter-disciplinary engagement, it
is our intention to create the possibility of starting dialogues
between the parallel events running during this conference. Delegates
are welcome to attend up to two sessions in each of the concurrent
conferences. We also propose to produce cross-over sessions between
these groups - and we welcome proposals which deal with the
relationship between The Erotic, Revolt and Revolution, Making Sense
of Suffering and Truth and Truthfulness.

What to Send:
300 word abstracts should be submitted by Friday 27th June 2014. If
an abstract is accepted for the conference, a full draft paper should
be submitted by Friday 19th September 2014. Abstracts should be
submitted to the Organising Chairs; abstracts may be in Word or RTF
formats, following this order:

a) author(s), b) affiliation as you would like it to appear in
programme, c) email address, d) title of proposal, e) body of
proposal, f) up to 10 keywords.

E-mails should be entitled: RR2 Abstract Submission.

Please use plain text (Times Roman 12) and abstain from using
footnotes and any special formatting, characters or emphasis (such as
bold, italics or underline). We acknowledge receipt and answer to all
paper proposals submitted. If you do not receive a reply from us in a
week you should assume we did not receive your proposal; it might be
lost in cyberspace! We suggest, then, to look for an alternative
electronic route or resend.

Organising Chairs:
James Arvanitakis: j.arvanita...@uws.edu.au
Martin Fredriksson: martin.fredriks...@liu.se
Rob Fisher: r...@inter-disciplinary.net

The conference is part of the Probing the Boundaries programme of
research projects. It aims to bring together people from different
areas and interests to share ideas and explore various discussions
which are innovative and exciting. All papers presented at the
conference will be eligible for publication in an ISBN eBook.
Selected papers may be developed for publication in a themed hard
copy volume.

Inter-Disciplinary.Net believes it is a mark of personal courtesy and
professional respect to your colleagues that all delegates should
attend for the full duration of the meeting. If you are unable to
make this commitment, please do not submit an abstract for
presentation.

For further details of the conference, please visit:
http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/probing-the-boundaries/hostility-and-violence/revolt-and-revolution/call-for-presentations/

http://interphil.polylog.org

Intercultural Philosophy Calendar:
http://cal.polylog.org