Location: Vienna (Austria)
Date: 15.–26.9.2014
Deadline: 12.9.2014

The two disseminations of Buddhism to Tibet witnessed a massive and
unprecedented transfer of Indian ideas and practices into a new
linguistic and cultural domain, which was in large part made possible
through the efforts of skilled translators. In the past few decades
Buddhism has begun to move again, this time remarkably to the foreign
western world, where it is presenting many challenges to those
attempting to render its texts into their native languages. In the
course we will explore and attempt to find solutions to some of these
challenges by increasing our awareness of the theoretical issues
involved and by actively practising and honing our translation
skills. The focus will be on Mahāyāna, especially Madhyamaka
compositions, but will also take into consideration the early and
Conservative Buddhist texts cited within them.

Course Instructor:
Dr. Anne MacDonald (Austrian Academy of Sciences)

Language of instruction: English
Prerequisites: 4 semesters Sanskrit and/or Tibetan
Course Fee: none
Accommodation: on request
Application Deadline: Sept 12, 2014

Venue:
Department of South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies, University
of Vienna, Spitalgasse 2, Hof 2.1 & Hof 2.7 (Campus) A-1090 Vienna

Contact:

Dr. Anne MacDonald
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Prinz-Eugen-Straße 8-10
A-1040 Vienna
Austria