Location: London (United Kingdom)
Date: 16.–18.6.2016
Deadline: 15.2.2016

The tenth biennial conference on “Culture, Technology, Communication”
– (CaTaC)’16 – will take place on June 15-17, 2016, at the Brentford
site of the University of West London. The Brentford site and nearby
Ealing Campus (including hotels and restaurants) are very
conveniently located for arrival via Heathrow as well as from London
by tube. (For initial orientation, please see:
http://www.uwl.ac.uk/about-us/our-location/ealing-site)

CaTaC'16 will be open for papers located within culture, technology,
and communication, applying different theoretical and methodological
perspectives, genres, and styles.

In addition, CaTaC'16 will have three themes:

* Culture, Technology, and Communication: Is Another Design Possible?
Design is complicit in the creation and sustainment of our unjust,
unsafe, and unsustainable world. The technologies, products, and
services we design today will shape the lives of generations to come,
human as well as nonhuman. For this theme we invite papers that
critically explore technologies used today and alternative technology
designs and design perspectives that make other futures possible.

* Culture, Technology, and Communication in Design for Development
For this theme we invite papers that report on and address the main
challenges for design and innovation in the Global South. We would
also like to see good examples of design for community development in
the Global North to understand points of convergence and divergence
with experiences in the Global South.

* Culture, Technology, and Communication in Practice?
We invite papers that have the practice of information and
communication technologies in specific cultural contexts as their
main focus. Examples include:
- Cultural diversity and global ICTs , e.g., global health
  information systems, Wikipedia, social media, surveillance and
  sousveillance, Big Data collection and analysis, etc.
- Global and local cultures of computing , e.g. outsourcing, global
  development teams; the identity of migrants and the experience of
  migration; appropriation, creolization, hybridization between
  cultures and also between technologies;
- The construction of identity using online social media, gaming, and
  blogging platforms;
- Political activism through social media vis-à-vis governmental and
  corporate censorship, control of access, etc.;
- Privacy issues in media environments that encourage public
  identities;
- Additional ethical issues evoked in the design, implementation,
  usages, and (counter-) responses to ICTs across diverse cultural
  contexts, especially vis-à-vis efforts to sustain and enhance local
  cultural identities, practices, norms, etc.

Both short (3-5 pages) and long (10-15 pages) original papers are
sought for presentation. Panel proposals addressing a specific theme
or topic are also encouraged: please include names of committed
participants and (provisional) presentation titles.

Important Dates:
Paper submission for peer-review: February 15, 2016
Notification of acceptance: April 1, 2016
Final papers and panel descriptions due for Conference Proceedings:
May 1, 2016

The Conference Proceedings will be published on the conference
website with an ISBN number. Authors retain copyright to their papers
and are welcome to attach a Creative Commons license indication on
their work. Additional conference details, including registration
fees, and keynote speakers, will be announced soon on the conference
website.

Conference Co-organizers:
* José Abdelnour-Nocera, Local host(School of Computing and
  Technology, University of West London)
* Charles Ess, CaTaC Co-chair (Department of Media and Communication,
  University of Oslo)
* Maja van der Velden, CaTaC Co-chair (Department of Informatics,
  University of Oslo)

Programme Committee:
* Herbert Hrachovec, (Philosophy Department, University of Vienna)
* Michele M. Strano, Program Chair (Communication Studies,
  Bridgewater College)

Conference website:
http://philo.at/ocs2/index.php/london16/

http://interphil.polylog.org