Location: Arlington, VA (USA)
Date: 13.–15.10.2016
Deadline: 31.3.2016

Postwar reconciliation is invariably challenging, whatever the nature
of the conflict. But it is exceptionally difficult in the aftermath
of civil wars. Conflict over common territory, a common political
system, competing ideologies, or shared resources generates
formidable ongoing problems regardless of whether civil war results
in separation or reunification. How have former enemies approached
reconciliation following civil wars around the world and throughout
history? How have they addressed the issues of reparation and
punishment? How have adversaries resolved contests over economic
resources or political power? Where and with what consequences have
they continued to use violence even after the formal cessation of
hostilities? What role have racial, ethnic, and religious differences
played? What are the cultural ramifications of civil war? What are
the benefits of comparing different models of reconciliation across
space and time? How should we evaluate successes and failures?

We invite proposals for an interdisciplinary conference at the
Arlington (Virginia) Hilton, October 13—15, 2016. The nearby
Arlington National Cemetery serves as a physical reminder of one
model of postwar reconciliation: located on the former estate of
Confederate general Robert E. Lee, the cemetery contains the graves
of soldiers from both sides of the American Civil War. Yet for many
observers regional and racial reconciliation after the American Civil
War has been incomplete, at best. This conference will address such
issues.  But the scope of the conference goes well beyond the United
States. It will bring together experts from different disciplines to
explore reconciliation efforts in the wake of numerous civil wars
around the world, from the United States to Northern Ireland to
Rwanda to Nicaragua to Cambodia to Syria. We interpret the term
“civil war” broadly, and we welcome proposals concerning civil wars
in any time period and any region of the world.

The conference features two keynote speakers:

- David Blight, Class of 1954 Professor of American History at Yale
University. Blight is a leading historian of the American Civil War.
His publications include Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American
Memory, recipient of eight book awards, including the Bancroft Prize,
the Lincoln Prize, and the Frederick Douglass Prize.

- Joseph Sebarenzi, former speaker of the Rwanda parliament and a
survivor of the 1994 Rwanda genocide. Sebarenzi teaches at the School
for International Training in Vermont, lectures widely on the
subjects of reconciliation and conflict management, and is author of
God Sleeps in Rwanda: A Journey of Transformation.

Following the conference, we will invite approximately twelve
presenters to an author’s workshop in 2017, with the intention of
publishing a collection of essays.

Please submit proposals to civil-war-reconciliatio...@vt.edu by March
31, 2016. We invite proposals for individual research presentations,
complete panels containing 3 research presentations and a chair,
roundtable discussions, posters, workshops, or documentary film
screenings. Proposals should be a maximum of 500 words (1500 words
for 3-paper panels) and should be accompanied by a two-page C.V. for
each participant.

Questions should be directed to James Hawdon, director of the Center
for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention (hawd...@vt.edu) or Paul
Quigley, director of the Virginia Center for Civil War Studies
(pquig...@vt.edu).

Conference website:
http://www.civilwar.vt.edu/wordpress/reconciliation/

http://interphil.polylog.org