Location: Cape Town (South Africa)
Date: 31.8.–2.9.2016
Deadline: 1.2.2016

Transformation and decolonization are recurring motifs in the
discourse about the South African university, but also the South
African state more widely, not least as significant economic
transformation has yet to follow the advent of democracy in 1994.
Further, as demonstrated in the #feesmustfall movement, this
discourse is championed by forms of citizen politics that escape the
bounds of party representation and formal institutionalization. This
politics speaks not only to the need for the inclusion, in more
equitable terms, of marginalized social groups, but also the
precariousness of economic citizenship for large numbers of people in
South Africa, and across the global south.

Indeed, the world is changing just as quickly as South Africa. The
growing role of India and China in Africa, the importance of Russia
and China in world politics, and the rise of the BRICS economically
reflect the rising influence of the east on the continent and in
global affairs. The implications of the emergence of new global
actors has sparked much debate about the future of liberal democracy,
democratic citizenship, gender relations, global peace, economic
prosperity, alternatives to neo-liberal capitalism, and environmental
sustainability. For example, while some have labelled this rise of
China in Africa as a form of ‘new colonialism’, others see the
political rise of the BRICS as the developing nations claiming their
rightful place in the world against the economic neo-colonialism of
the west.

All of this poses significant food for thinking about the future of
politics and democracy in South Africa, Africa and globally at a time
when Universities in South Africa are under unprecedented financial
pressure to both massify and to generate more, better-quality
research. How do we teach and research the discipline of Political
Science best in this context? What kind of staff do we need, for what
kinds of students, and what kind so academic citizenship does this
require? How should we relate this to the world of professional
political research? How best should we take the engagement with these
challenges forward as an important component in the community of
teachers and researchers of politics?

The idea of decolonisation after democracy thus invokes more than the
rethinking of politics into the 21st century; it also invokes the
need to rethink the teaching and research of political science, and
its relationship to the world of professional research in South
Africa.

First date for panels (early bird rate): 1 February 2016
First date for abstracts (early bird rate): 1 February 2016
Email submissions to: saaps2...@gmail.com

Venue: City Bowl, Cape Town

Conference website:
http://saaps.org.za/conference/2016-annual-conference