Location: Toulouse (France)
Date: 4.–8.7.2016

As the seventh year is the year of fallow land, this seventh edition
of the SIREL International Conference in Toulouse (France) tends to
take place somewhere else than in the foothold in the land, somewhere
else than in the autochthony, taking under consideration the
landless, the undocumented, the migrant that each human being
conceals, those that through their misery oblige to reconfigure the
rules of living together. Current affairs have (and for some time
now) imposed the ethical problem of thinking about our responsibility
in front of the call of the stranger. Even though this symposium is
obviously influenced by recent events, it does not constitute simply
one reaction. As a matter of fact, the gesture of Levinassian studies
that we carry on tends to bring to light the ever-present risk of
reducing the other to our own concepts. Hence it is not at all a
matter of producing prescriptions.

Our proposal, studying the place of the stranger in Levinas’ thought,
amounts rather to turn one’s self to that which the human has as most
unsettling and somehow most deviant: his difference — which is at the
same time unpredictable and inexhaustible.

If the evidence of daily life drags us to see plastic resemblances in
the Other’s face and to see in the sufferings of one’s existence the
possibility of a threat to the self, Levinas on the contrary observes
throughout his work the significance of the difference that overcomes
these aesthetic approaches and the concern for self-preservation. As
a matter of fact, the doubt, the concern, and the making available of
one’s self to the other, to which I can be subjected by surprise, are
not based on the already seen and known but on that which disrupts
what is expected and disturbs our points of reference. Alterity,
precisely, foils predictions and comes back to the division between
the possible and impossible, the border between the known and
unknown. This alterity described by Levinas transforms our way of
viewing by overturning acquired positions – the neighbor and the
stranger do not look any longer like they can be separated. The
paradoxical presence of the pair neighbor and stranger can therefore
be found in any intersubjective relationship whatsoever: no matter
the degree of proximity I nurture with an individual, this proximity
is always permeated by the distance that difference imposes.

In Levinas’ texts, the shadow of the stranger often brings to mind
those of the widow and the orphan. The stranger appears in Levinas
not as the stranger according to visible, identity, bureaucratic
criteria (those strangers to this land, this culture, this language)
but beyond visibility, his strangeness lays on that which is elusive
in the very nature of proximity: there where the identity documents
seem to say everything, they do not say anything at all. The Other
can even speak my own language without my listening.

The neighbor is at the same time the stranger, the ‘first comer’ [le
premier venu], which I never know, and the familiar or relative, is
the one who addresses himself to me personally. He is that one who is
never there where we expect him to be and that one whose
vulnerability reminds the subject of his own responsibility.

More than fifty speakers (plenary and parralel sessions) will
participate in the conference. The topics that will be addressed
include: Philosophy of religion ; Political philosophy and philosophy
of law ; The first comer [le premier venu] ; Art and images ; Human
sciences.

Conference organizing committee

Flora Bastiani (France)
Erik Garrett (USA)
Dara Hill (USA)
Nelson Lerias (France)
Diogo Villas Bôas Aguiar (Brasil)

Questions: colloque.philo.toulo...@gmail.com

More details on the conference websites:
http://nalssirel.wordpress.com
http://www.sirel-levinas.org