Location: Philadelphia, PA (USA)
Date: 21.–22.10.2016
Deadline: 11.7.2016

The Diopian Institute for Scholarly Advancement (DISA) presents the
28th Annual Cheikh Anta Diop International Conference:
Philadelphia, Friday and Saturday, October 21 and 22, 2016, at
Temple University (Friday) & Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
(Saturday):

“Channeling Classical African Wisdom as a Response to Contemporary
Challenges”

We invite papers that offer broad topical approaches and critical
applications that consider, as did Ptahotep and other African
classical and traditional philosophers, the culture’s pedagogies of
morality. Presentations should consider “What is the desired moral
code of contemporary Black life?” and “What does our culture offer as
a premise for its ethical and moral ideals?”  We have a cultural
continuity of intergenerational wisdom, ethics, morality, and values
that (1) affirms the breadth and historicity of our culture’s core
orientations to self-actualization and humanity and (2) can inspire
and heal the communities of Ferguson and other national and global
sites that have experienced racialized trauma and loss at the hands
of Western systems of so-called justice and order.

This year’s conference aims to generate discourses of victorious
consciousness by advancing research that resets the barometer and
redirects Africans worldwide to re-learn and prioritize our own
ancient cultural practices of ethics and morality. This conference
aims to contribute to community development by demonstrating that our
communities do not need social policing because our culture has its
own models and orientations to justice, righteousness, and harmonious
living.

This call for papers is inspired by scholarship on the teachings of
Ptahotep, and we encourage participants and presenters to familiarize
yourselves with the primary sources featured in Molefi Kete Asante’s
“The Egyptian Philosophers: Ancient African Voices from Imhotep to
Akhenaten,” Asa Hilliard’s “The Teachings of Ptahotep: The Oldest Book
in the World,” and Maulana Karenga’s “Selections from the Husia:
Sacred Wisdom of Ancient Egypt.”

Papers should reflect the highest critical consciousness of
Afrocentric and African-centered epistemologies of the discipline of
Africana Studies. Participation is highly competitive.

Formal, 250-word abstracts are due by July 11, 2016.
Send to: Dr. Christel N. Temple at: cn...@pitt.edu

We will publish selected papers in an edited volume.
(Please indicate if your paper is not available for inclusion in this
volume).
Submit full papers by October 4, 2016
(no longer than 25 pages including citations).

To send nominations for Best Scholarly Book Award:

Dr. Ana Monteiro-Ferreira at: aferr...@emich.edu
or
Dr. Ibram X. Kendi at: ike...@ufl.edu

The Friday portion of the conference is a free and open-to-the-public
late afternoon extended session sponsored by the Graduate Student
Association of the Department of Africology and African American
Studies on-site at Temple University.

Registration for Saturday at the Wyndham

$120 through September 30 or $150 after September 30 and on-site

Undergraduate Students: $10; Graduate Students $60; Unaffiliated
Elders /Community Members: $50

Discounts available with DISA Membership:
www.diopianinstitute.org (Paypal processing)

Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District
(400 Arch Street, downtown)
Rooms $169 plus tax per night through September 21, 2016.
Call 1-877-999-3223 for Reservations and mention “DIOP Conference
2016 Group”.

Contact:

Dr. Christel N. Temple
Email: cn...@pitt.edu