Location: London (United Kingdom)
Date: 9.–10.3.2019

This conference aims to open up questions and provide a platform for
critical analysis concerning the underlying assumptions, ideologies,
narratives, social structures etc. that are rooted in white
colonialism, which have shaped (and continue to shape) reality for a
multitude of people. The aim is to re-tell stories where white
heterosexual upper-class men are no longer the protagonists, and to
think critically about ways to re-shape our present reality in
efforts towards decolonisation. Among the topics we will discuss are
indigenous liberation, white feminism, epistemic injustice and the
(post)colonial condition.

The event is hosted by King's College London Minorities and
Philosophy Society. We are a chapter of the wider international
initiative Minorities and Philosophy, which aims to diversify the
philosophical canon and challenge the dominant perspectives on
different topics in academic philosophy. We aim to create real
opportunities for a wider range of people, in particular those who
have been gravely underrepresented in the discipline, to have their
voices heard and taken seriously. The exclusion of marginalised
groups from academic philosophy and the wider social contexts is an
issue of equality and results in inaccurate theories which do not
represent the reality we live in.

Conference Programme

Saturday, 9th March

09:30-10:00
Registration/Welcome

10:00-10:45
Sailee Khurjekar: Reshaping the Present: the Significance of the
‘Cultural Aesthetic’

10:45-11:30
Sophia Cann: I am a Mujer not a Feminist

11:30-12:30
Lunch

12:30-13:15
Diego Morollon Del Rio: Movements of epistemological decolonization
in Paulo Freire and Frantz Fanon

13:15-13:45
Tea/Coffee

13:45-14:30
Azita Chellappoo: “Poetry is not a luxury”: Poetry as an Epistemic
Resource

14:30-15:30
Keynote: Sneha Krishnan

18:00
Conference Speakers Dinner

Sunday, 10th March

09:30-10:00
Welcome

10:00-10:45
Veeran Naicker: Foucault, Bhabha and the postcolonial subject abstract

10:45- 11:30
Maite Bustamante: Between national security and human rights

11:30-12:30
Lunch

12:30-13:15
Sara Chan: The Minority Mind: Mental Disability as Value Neutral

13:15-13:45
Tea/Coffee

Venue

Anatomy Lecture Theatre
floor 6, King's Building
Strand Campus
King's College London
Aldwych, London, WC2R

Registration

The conference is free and open to all, but registering is required
due to university policy on external visitors. Please register here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-conference-on-decolonisation-shaping-and-re-shaping-of-reality-tickets-52923186676

Conference Webpage:
https://mapforthegap.wixsite.com/kclmap

KCL MAP Facebook: