Location: Budapest (Hungary)
Date: 3.–4.5.2019
Deadline: 7.4.2019

The Central European University chapter of Minorities and Philosophy
(MAP) is planning a two-day symposium organized around the topic of
underrepresented or oppressed demographics within philosophy and
academia, and society in general. Through presented work and
facilitated workshops, we want this symposium to highlight standpoint
specific thinking and experiences addressing the issues of inequality
and inclusion, whether in the theoretical realm or in specific
reference to the institutional and professional aspects of academic
work.

Core focus areas are gender, race, class/economic access, and
ability. Some examples may be work on the decolonization of
philosophy/academia, feminist and queer critiques, standpoint
epistemology, qualitative and quantitative research into the current
state of inclusion in academic space, and firsthand accounts of one's
experience as a practitioner.

By "workshop," we simply mean to stretch the possibilities of form
and format; this gives facilitators the opportunity to make their
workshop interactive, educational in senses other than the explicitly
academic. We hope to select a plethora of submissions from MA/PhD and
early career researchers, and seek applicants from any university.

In addition to student and post-doc presenters, we will have 2-4
invited speakers giving talks and sitting for panel discussions
throughout the symposium. Currently scheduled speakers/panelists are
Natalie Ashton (University of Vienna), Ingrid Hoofd (University of
Utrecht), and Anna Rez (ELTE).

Each presenter should be prepared to speak or facilitate for 25 to 40
minutes, with time for Q&A and discussion.

Students from all universities and departments are encouraged to
participate. In the interest of full inclusion, we will have funding
set aside to provide participants from outside of Budapest who have
specific economic needs with accommodation or reimbursement if needed.

Please submit a 300–400 word abstract or workshop description along
with select key words by midnight CET on April 7th for consideration.

Contact:

Maria Kronfeldner
Department of Philosophy
Central European University