Call for Publications

Theme: Justice, Legitimacy and Secession
Publication: Las Torres de Lucca. International Journal of Philosophy
Date: Number 18 (January-June 2021)
Deadline: 24.4.2020

Politics is about managing conflict, about how we should live
together. Many traditions of thought and political thinkers have
nonetheless taken this shared space of conflict, this ‘we the
people’, as a given. ‘The people’ is just considered as a necessary
precondition for politics. What happens when a part of this ‘we’
disagrees with that? When some consider this shared community should
not be taken as given and claim for their right to secede and build
their own independent political community. Such claims have bearings
on the fundamental questions ‘who is the demos? And who are the
people entitled to self-government?’

Political philosophers have reflected on this issue widely. Some have
defended the morality of groups to secede if they have a democratic
majority. Others have argued that secession is justified only when it
is a remedy against an evil – for example, when a minority group is
persecuted by a state controlled by a majority group.

This kind of conflict constitutes a pressing issue in contemporary
democratic societies. It thus calls for further philosophical
reflection. How should political institutions deal with secession?
Are democratic procedures a normatively appealing solution?
Pro-independence supporters argue the affirmative on the basis of a
right to self-determination. From a philosophical point of view,
however, things are not obvious. Which majority are we talking about?
A majority state-wide, or only within the minority group claiming for
independence? Going further, what does self-determination mean and
imply in democratic terms? Does it imply the creation of a
nation-state or should internal self-government suffice? Is
self-determination territorially conditioned? What would happen with
dispersed minorities? Besides, is a democratic procedure enough to
justify a decision regardless of its content? What is the place of
justice when discussing on secession issues? How should we balance
justice claims and democratic procedures when dealing with secession?

All these questions seem fundamental philosophically speaking, but
secession is also a relevant issue in our contemporary societies. It
is part of, but not limited to, the Spanish constitutional crisis
derived from the political claims of Catalan pro-independence parties
and institutions, perhaps the greatest political turmoil since the
beginning of Spanish democracy in 1978 (in addition to the
recognition demands of other territories such as the Basque Country).
It was also a pressing issue for the Quebec and Scottish referendums
on independence in 1995 and 2014 respectively, New Caledonia’s
agreement with France regarding its political status, the Kurdish
unilateral referendum on independence in Iraq in 2017, or the
political status of Taiwan. These are a few examples of how relevant
are pro-independence claims nowadays.

What can the different theories of democracy and theories of justice
have to say about the pressing issue of secession?  This dossier
invites scholars working on political philosophy to contribute to
these and other related questions.

Online Submissions:
http://www.lastorresdelucca.org/index.php/ojs/about/submissions

Deadline:
April 24, 2020

Coordination:
Sergi Morales-Gálvez

The scientific scope of Las Torres de Lucca (International Journal of
Political Philosophy) will be to comprehend the characteristics of
political philosophy, in line with the interdisciplinary character
that has operated in this field during the last several years. We
welcome contributions from the areas traditionally linked directly to
political philosophy (moral philosophy, philosophy of law, political
theory), as well as from those that have been incorporated up to the
present day (political economy, philosophy of history, psychology,
neurophysiology and, to a lesser extent, other sciences) as long as
their scope is focused on the treatment of public affairs and sheds
light on contemporary political reflections. In the same way, the
reference to classic problems should be brought to bear on
contemporary questions.

The journal publishes original articles in English and Spanish.

Journal website:
http://www.lastorresdelucca.org