Call for Publications

Theme: Translation as Interpretation
Publication: JOLMA: The Journal for the Philosophy of Language, Mind,
and the Arts
Date: Vol. 3, Num. 2 (2022)
Deadline: 31.5.2022

What does it mean to translate and in what sense is translating
constitutively interpreting? This issue is aimed to address these and
many other related questions.

Clearly, translating cannot be reduced to moving a meaning from a
remote linguistic vehicle to a more familiar one: “the purpose of
translation by no means is that of bringing what has been said
closer” (M. Heidegger, GA 51, p. 96), but, rather, that of allowing
distance and strangeness to emerge within our target language. The
relationship with distant or untimely texts is neither peaceful nor
reassuring, and therefore (!) it opens up possibilities, it discloses
different futures to the present. We can say, furthermore, that the
first crucial consequence the work of the translator-interpreter
produces is a disruption of the inertial absolutization of that
present which is settled in our usual saying and, thus, appears to us
immediately decipherable or as the only possible one.

On the other hand, it was some grandiose translating interpretations
that led to powerful historical effects, decisively marking the
cultural, philosophical and theological path of Europe and of the
Mediterranean basin. Just to mention a few of them: the translation
of the Bible into Latin by St. Jerome or that of the Seventy into
Greek, the translation into Latin of Aristotle’s logical works by
Boethius, the German translations of the Bible by Luther or the
Sophoclean Antigone by Hölderlin, the first English translations of
Plato by Thomas Taylor and Benjamin Jowett. All these have been
interpretations that, even when they have forced or misunderstood the
original, they have in any case broadened and put back in motion the
significance of the target language, whose linguisticity has opened
up different, fruitful ways of experiencing the world.

Another set of questions arises if we look at the everyday. Today all
over the planet people speak the English language or translate their
own into English. What happens to native English speakers if they get
used to believing that they have no need to translate their mother
tongue? And what does it mean for non-native English speakers if they
get used to translating all their own thoughts and experiences? Of
course, translating also has powerful ethical and political
implications, as well as existential ones. And, by the way, it is a
fact that we constantly need to translate and interpret within our
own language: as Quine puts it, we must be aware that “radical
translation begins at home” (W.V.O. Quine, Ontological Relativity, p.
46).

Invited Contributors:
- Francesco Camera
- Carla Canullo
- Richard Capobianco
- Massimiliano De Villa
- Jean Grondin
- Éliane Laverdure

Submission deadline: May 31st, 2022
Notification of acceptance: July 15th, 2022

Articles must be written in English and should not exceed 6,500
words. The instructions for authors can be consulted in the journal’s
website: ‘Editorial Guidelines’.

Submissions must be suitable for blind review. Each submission should
also include a brief abstract of no more than 650 words and five
keywords for indexing purposes. Notification of intent to submit,
including both a title and a brief summary of the content, will be
greatly appreciated, as it will assist with the coordination and
planning of the issue.

For any question, please contact the editors:

- Francesco Camera
  Email: cam...@nous.unige.it

- Gian Luigi Paltrinieri
  Email: gpal...@unive.it

Please submit your proposals to the email:
jolma_edi...@unive.it

Or use the section ‘Submit’ of the journal’s website:
https://edizionicafoscari.unive.it/en/edizioni4/riviste/the-journal-for-the-philosophy-of-language-mind-an/