This is a News letter from the desk of Nigel Hawkes founder of Hawkeye
Traders, Home of Volume Spread Analysis, http://www.HawkeyeTraders.com
. If you are a trader on Stocks, Commodities, Futures, Forex please
read this article carefully.
The text below arrived in my in box today from money week
(www.moneyweek.com) which sums up where we are and a dire warning for
the British economy.
 "Some 8,000 hedge funds with more than $1.7 trillion in assets are
"being caught in a vicious cycle".
The problem lies in the mix of plunging markets and massive de-
leveraging, i.e. paying down debt, across the financial system. Over
the three months to September, another $179 billion was wiped off the
value of hedge fund assets by falling asset prices, according to Hedge
Fund Research. Spooked by the market falls, and keen to have ready
cash at hand, investors have been pulling their money out at a rapid
rate, with almost $31 billion being withdrawn over the quarter – which
means hedgies need to sell more assets to repay clients.
On top of this, as markets fall, lenders are also cutting credit lines
to their hedge fund customers or are making 'margin calls', i.e.
demanding that those funds come up with extra cash to back up their
borrowings.  And as if that wasn't enough, the Lehman Brothers
bankruptcy is still tying up tens of billions of dollars-worth of
hedge fund assets. Lots of money managers had "parked" cash and other
securities at the investment bank's prime brokerage operation. But
these accounts are now frozen.
But it's about to get even worse...
 That's more than enough bad news for any industry to cope with. But
it's about to get even worse. As many as 30% of hedge funds will be
shutting up shop "in a Darwinian process", says Emmanuel Roman at GLF
Partners, and the US authorities will force-feed regulation onto the
rest: "there need to be scapegoats, and they are going to go hunt
people". That will make business even harder, and lead to even more
forced selling. In London, out of 450 hedge funds, more than 100 could
be at risk, says Miles Costello in The Times.
New York Professor Nouriel Roubini, who has been spot on about how bad
things were going to get, agrees that hundreds of hedge funds will
fail. "We've reached a situation of sheer panic. Yet I fear the worst
is ahead of us. Don't be surprised if policy makers need to close down
markets for a week or two in coming days".
This is pretty apocalyptic stuff. But the cavalry isn't about to
appear over the horizon. US Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson confirmed
to Bloomberg yesterday that unregulated firms like hedge funds won't
initially get government aid as "we're focused on regulated financial
institutions." So "you can argue that it could be worse than Wall
Street because no one is coming in to save the hedge funds", says Hank
Higdon at Higdon Partners.
Why you shouldn't go bargain hunting just yet?
What does this mean for the ordinary investor? Well, because of the
hedgie effect, share prices could easily fall some way further than
anyone expects. "The market's going to overshoot on the downside",
says Peter Boockvar at Miller Tabak, who sees the Dow tumbling to
5,000 next year, more than 40% below today. "When that occurs, I'll be
a raging bull".
So it's a brave man, or woman, however contrarian, who's prepared to
dip more than a very small toe in the market with the hedge funds in
forced sale mode for some time to come. We certainly wouldn't be
buying any tracker funds
Britain's going bust - AGAIN!  In 1976 our leaders' mismanagement of
the economy slashed the wealth of every Briton in this country.
Inflation soared... taxes skyrocketed... sterling nosedived...
It forced us to go cap-in-hand to the International Monetary Fund for
a £2.3 billion "bailout" loan... OR GO BANKRUPT.
Never since has Britain been so close to going bust – UNTIL NOW".
For all users who have attended a Hawkeye seminar or trade following
the Hawkeye method, you can clearly see that you could not have bought
stocks since June 20, 2007, when the trend came out of congestion to
the down side. Daily chart for all traders who trade "Road-Kill"
another great call down on the daily on 4 September 2008. Even if you
missed the weekly the monthly has been short since February 2008.
So where to now?  Well! There can be no bottom buying if you follow
Hawkeye.  Preservation of capital is paramount  and being a trend
following system, we will have to wait till the Weekly HeatMap goes
dark green and the Daily HeatMap goes bright green before we consider
going long.  That will take some time and there will be wild moves
both up and down  but until the market becomes efficient and
volatility subsides.  Stand aside --  go trading in other markets,
i.e. Forex and  Commodities.

Scalpers please unless you are an experienced trader and also well
capitalized stand aside!  If you are undercapitalized you could be
wiped out with these huge intra bar moves.

VOLUME
It is common for violent down moves to end with a selling climax (wide
bar heavy volume  with the close of that bar in the top third of the
range ) followed by bars of above average volume on a narrow range
bar.  This shows accumulation.  However, with such a violent move down
as we have now there will be, I suspect, many whipsaw days until
volume establishes price.
The present move is orderly regarding volume.  You will see, when a
bottom arrives, there will be very large volume for several days on
narrow range bars -- indicating accumulation taking place.  Please be
patient there will be many opportunities. http://www.HawkeyeTraders.com