On 08/03/2018 12:22 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> JFYI: git log --no-merges --grep 'NULL device \*'
> I think those commits actually argue in favour of Tony's patch to remove
> the special casing.  Is it really useful to create dma pools with a NULL
> device?

dma_alloc_coherent() does appear to support a NULL dev, so it might make
sense in theory.  But I can't find any in-tree callers that actually
pass a NULL dev to dma_pool_create().  So for one of the dreaded (NULL
device *) messages to show up, it would take both a new caller that
passes a NULL dev to dma_pool_create() and a bug to cause the message to
be printed.  Is that worth the special casing?