On 2022-02-10 23:58, Martin Oliveira wrote:
On 2/9/22 1:41 AM, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
On 2/8/22 6:50 PM, Martin Oliveira wrote:
Hello,

We have been hitting an error when running IO over our nvme-of setup, using the
mlx5 driver and we are wondering if anyone has seen anything similar/has any
suggestions.

Both initiator and target are AMD EPYC 7502 machines connected over RDMA using
a Mellanox MT28908. Target has 12 NVMe SSDs which are exposed as a single NVMe
fabrics device, one physical SSD per namespace.

Thanks for reporting this, if you can bisect the problem on your setup
it will help others to help you better.

-ck

Hi Chaitanya,

I went back to a kernel as old as 4.15 and the problem was still there, so I
don't know of a good commit to start from.

I also learned that I can reproduce this with as little as 3 cards and I
updated the firmware on the Mellanox cards to the latest version.

I'd be happy to try any tests if someone has any suggestions.

The IOMMU is probably your friend here - one thing that might be worth trying is capturing the iommu:map and iommu:unmap tracepoints to see if the address reported in subsequent IOMMU faults was previously mapped as a valid DMA address (be warned that there will likely be a *lot* of trace generated). With 5.13 or newer, booting with "iommu.forcedac=1" should also make it easier to tell real DMA IOVAs from rogue physical addresses or other nonsense, as real DMA addresses should then look more like 0xffff24d08000.

That could at least help narrow down whether it's some kind of use-after-free race or a completely bogus address creeping in somehow.

Robin.