On 2006-08-16, Joerg van den Hoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> question: any ideas what else can cause ion to thing it should run under 
> finish settings?

There's something very much wrong with your system. Have you tried simply
deleting the locale files to work around it? (locate ion3.mo)

> PS: and now for something completely different (as john cleese would 
> have said):
>
> I followed the thread concerning gcc, ld, C and their shortcomings: I 
> recently stumbled over OCaml as a fast, compiled language which seems 
> not so strictly/exclusively functional as Haskell. any opinions 
> concerning that language?

Well, I'm not very familiar with it (never having written anything
in *ML), but not being pure loses some sexyness points wrt. Haskell
(and Clean, which is too poorly supported, however). Despite this, 
from what little I've seen, the OO support is quite ugly, as is all 
the impure stuff. For IO, Haskell's IO Monad and the uniqueness types
of Clean are much nicer and more theoretically sound. Clean's uniqueness
types seem... cleaner... than monads for mutable data in particular, but
monads, on the other hand, are a much more general recipe for various
domain-specific languages (the parsec parser combinator library is a
great example), as one I like to view the IO monad. OCaml seems to have
rather good performance, though, close to that of C in many benchmarks. 
It might, infact, be the best alternative for C,  but it's not a very 
sexy language, compromising functional purity for imperative features, 
that are not very neatly done either. At least that's my impression; 
as I said, I'm not very familiar with it.

-- 
Tuomo

Reply via email to