On 2006-10-31, Bill Mill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It's menu, and the binding is there, under "Bindings for message boxes
>> and queries".
> Right. But what does it do? It's different from F3, because it gives me
> different completions, but I can't figure out why.

Actually, it's supposed to read "it's not a menu" there. It's just
a message box. Message boxes don't have completions, or an input
line even.

> I think what surprised me was that the "error" message had state. I expected 
> it
> to be a transient window, popping up the error, then going away.

What's that got to do with transients? Transients are simply something
that are supposed to be short-lived, no matter how they're closed.

> How was I supposed to know that
> a small status screen on the bottom, which the window manager happily popped
> some things over (F3 & F12 windows), was the active item I was blocked on?

>From it obscuring other windows? Perhaps the error messages could be
more colourful, but... you can't really do editor-like hiding of the
message, unless constantly preserve space for the messages, in each 
frame and screen. And I don't want that waste of space. Maybe if it
was easier to do translucency, you could have windows that don't
completely obstruct neither input nor output.

-- 
Tuomo

Reply via email to