On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:43:15AM +0000, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> tuomov wrote:
> > [D. Gentner and J. Nielsen: The Anti-Mac Interface,
> >  http://www.acm.org/pubs/cacm/AUG96/antimac.htm]

I fully agree that primarily mouse driven interfaces are generally
not very expressive.  There are a few classes of problem that are
expressed well with a mouse, that of drawing programs or navigating a 3D
environment, but mice seem to be used more and more for lots of things
that I don't think naturally fit---graphical programming languages are
one of these for me.

The counter argument is that mice are more accessible and GUIs easier
to learn.  I personally don't think this is a valid argument.  GUIs
are even more powerful when combined with keyboard access as well as a
mouse, and being easier to learn has nothing to do with the fact that
the program is graphical.

> In a metadata DB FS, files don't have names that we can talk about.
> We can only search for them in various ways, and point at the found
> objects.

I don't think this comment was aimed at my idea but one of the things I
was aiming for was to keep persistent file names in my system, I think
it should provide same naming capabilities as a traditional Unix style
file system.  I haven't seen many database filesystems, but those that I
have haven't provide useful persistent identifiers.


  Sam

Reply via email to