Hi everyone,

Thanks for todays phone call; it was my first time calling in and was
informative and helpful.

I just wanted to follow up on my question about filtering on string
arguments of USDT probes. Thanks to Brendan for suggesting looking into
LLVM's builtins (e.g. __builtin_memcmp, __builtin_strstr); my initial
experimentation with them has been unsuccessful, but I plan to keep trying.

An additional issue brought up on the call (I apologize for forgetting by
whom) was that any comparisons on long strings would bloat the program,
perhaps beyond the maximum allowed program size. Would the solution to this
be to have something like another BPF helper function in the kernel?

Something we may end up doing is passing u64 hash of our query string to
our probes and filter on it. If anyone has other recommendations for
workarounds, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Kyle Laracey
MemSQL Performance Engineer