Does anyone know how to speed up button notifications?

I'm working on a calculator for the iPhone.   I'm having a problem in
that the button handlers (onclick handlers within an image map) are
getting called after about a 1 second delay.  The fastest I can tap
numbers is about 1 per second.  Faster than that and Safari recognizes
a double tap instead.

It appears that Mobile Safari is waiting to see if a double tap occurs
before sending the notification.   Does anyone know of a way to
disable double tap checking or another handler I could use that has
less of a delay?