Thank you for the answer! - I've been doing it in the following way, which
doesn't seem so neat although it works:

var junk=document.getElementById("submitButtonText").innerHTML
document.getElementById("submitButtonText").innerHTML = "Working..."
// fetching the info from the server
document.getElementById("submitButtonText").innerHTML = junk

I'm sorry for not explaining myself more clearly. - I'm using emy
<http://www.emy-library.org/>. The main.css
<http://www.emy-library.org/emy/1.1/themes/emy/main.css> should contain
everything necessary. I still don't seem to be able to get it to work
(although it works here
<http://www.emy-library.org/documentation/latest/assets/samples/getting-started-example-2.html#_first>).
Furthermore I don't know how to make the loading image to work with a
*button*. Should I just use "*my old*" way changing the button text?

Rune