What utility are you using to set the IP address of the IPMI card? I
have found that the IPMI cards usually need a reboot after changing IP
information but that can be done by 'ipmitool bmc reset cold' or
'ipmicfg-linux.x86 -r' if you have a newer version of the Supermicro
configuration utility. Power cycling the box does essentially the same
thing. I would recommend trying one of those command, or something
similar, before power cycling the card/box. I think I have killed a few
cards by power cycling at just the wrong moment.

Also, what motherboard/cpu are you using? I had a bunch of Xeon based
boards that had no problem keeping up with the network. (my network has
a ton of broadcasts). But then I switched to an Opteron based board with
the same model IPMI card. The same IPMI in the new boards was freaking
out with all the broadcasts. I am assuming its TCP stack wasn't
processing the broadcasts quick enough. I eventually had to move the
IPMI to a different VLAN from the production network.

I don't know of a way to view the event message queue. I have seen the
error a few times when I tried to change LAN or SOL settings. I'm not
sure what caused it but my setting changes would still take effect. Even
changes made after the first error. So I don't really know what it means.

>From my experience, it is often best to have the IPMI card be on a
different network/VLAN from the rest of the production traffic. If you
are using a board with shared LAN, this can be done by only using the
shared port for the IPMI and using the non-shared port for the operating
system. You can even disable the shared interface in the BIOS or by the
jumpers and the IPMI will still work. (or at least should)

Hopefully that provides some help.

Mike