From: Brian Camp [mailto:fecoughn...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 9:37 PM
To: ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Ipmitool-devel] Can't set auth type

I'm trying to get ipmi working on two servers.  I need to use the lan
interface, but I'm only able to get the open interface working on one of the
servers.  Everything is working perfectly on the other one.  Identical
machines, both using Intel S5520UR motherboards running Ubuntu 8.04.  The
machine with the problem is currently using ipmitool version 1.8.11, although
I've tried every version since 1.8.8.  The problem is the same across them all.
 The problem I'm having with one is I am unable to set the auth type on lan 1.
Here's what happens when I try.
administra...@mail-1:~$ sudo ipmitool lan set 1 auth USER PASSWORD
LAN Parameter Data does not match!  Write may have failed.

Here's lan 1:
Set in Progress         : Set Complete
Auth Type Support       :
Auth Type Enable        : Callback :
                        : User     :
                        : Operator :
                        : Admin    :
                        : OEM      :
IP Address Source       : Static Address
IP Address              : 10.228.53.123
Subnet Mask             : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address             : 00:15:17:da:d9:fa
SNMP Community String   :
IP Header               : TTL=0x00 Flags=0x00 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x00
BMC ARP Control         : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl   : 0.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP      : 10.228.53.3
Default Gateway MAC     : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP       : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC      : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID          : Disabled
802.1q VLAN Priority    : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites     : 1,2,3,6,7,8,11,12,0
Cipher Suite Priv Max   : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXo
                        :     X=Cipher Suite Unused
                        :     c=CALLBACK
                        :     u=USER
                        :     o=OPERATOR
                        :     a=ADMIN
                        :     O=OEM

Everything else is acting right.  I am able to set a static ip and change it.
I'm able to switch to dhcp.  I can change arp settings and gateway settings.
Basically, everything except authentication.  Here is what happens when I try
to send a command from a remote machine.
sudo ipmitool -I lan -H 10.228.53.123 -U username -P password power status
Authentication type NONE not supported
Authentication type NONE not supported
Error: Unable to establish LAN session
ipmi_lan_send_cmd failed to open intf
Unable to get Chassis Power Status

Here's the channel info:
sudo ipmitool channel info 1
Channel 0x1 info:
  Channel Medium Type   : 802.3 LAN
  Channel Protocol Type : IPMB-1.0
  Session Support       : multi-session
  Active Session Count  : 0
  Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154
  Volatile(active) Settings
    Alerting            : enabled
    Per-message Auth    : enabled
    User Level Auth     : enabled
    Access Mode         : always available
  Non-Volatile Settings
    Alerting            : enabled
    Per-message Auth    : enabled
    User Level Auth     : enabled
    Access Mode         : always available

I used the Intel cd on the machine that's working correctly.  When I try to use
the cd on this server, I'm able to go through the setup all the way and reboot
the machine.  It correctly changes any ip settings I change, but it will not
set authentication types.  I was worried I had some bad hardware, but bmc and
chassis selftests both pass.  The open interface works fine.

$ sudo ipmitool -I open power status
Chassis Power is on

I've been searching all over the internet, but I'm having trouble finding
information about this particular problem.  Can anybody help me figure this out?