On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Philip Paeps <phi...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi.  I doubt if this is an ipmitool issue, but perhaps someone here has seen
> this problem before and could give me pointers on how to fix it.
>
> I have an HP ml110 g6 with an ilo100 remote management card.  I can ssh or
> telnet to the card and I can use ipmi.  Regardless of how I access the card, I
> have the same problem with the serial console: I see data from the console to
> me, but the console doesn't see characters I send.
>
> Specifically:
>
>  mgmt# ipmitool -I lanplus -H 172.19.2.64 -U admin -P admin -E sol activate
>  [SOL Session operational.  Use ~? for help]
>
> Any characters I type here don't arrive.  The operating system also doesn't
> report any interrupts on the uart.  I can see the bytes on the wire with
> tcpdump, however.
>
> Characters sent to the console do arrive on the management sol session and the
> interrupt counter of the uart goes up as expected.
>
> I have the same problem if I telnet to the management card and tell it to
> redirect the console to me (in HP ilo-speak: start /system1/console1).  Data
> gets to me, but data from me doesn't get there.
>
> As I said, I don't think this is an ipmitool problem since I see the same
> symptoms if I connect to the card over telnet or ssh.  Has anyone else seen
> this phenomenon?  Am I overlooking something ridiculously simple?
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Are you sure the baud rate is set appropriately (default on FreeBSD
was 9600 bps and some systems default to 115200 IIRC)? You can set the
baud rate like so:

ipmitool -U $username -P $password -H $ip sol set non-volatile-bit-rate 9.6
ipmitool -U $username -P $password -H $ip sol set volatile-bit-rate 9.6

You have to do this off the box (which I find incredibly annoying, but
oi vey...).

Thanks,
-Garrett