On 03/18/2015 11:28 AM, gabr...@unseen.is wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a bunch of identical servers for which I have to change some BIOS
> settings. Therefore I thought of scripting it like intercepting the
> keystrokes for one device and replaying it for the others.
>
> Unfortunately it was not possible for me to intercept the file
> descriptors of the console of ipmitool not even to end the session by
> piping '~.' into it.
>
> Does anybody know whether this is theoretically possible and point me to
> the right direction?

You have a couple of options.

You can write a program to execute your commands opening ipmitool in a
pty.  TCL expect is probably the most famous here, though there is
pexect in Python and probably something for most any language.  I don't
know of a way to do this from a shell script, though.

At least the OpenIPMI library has the ability to open a SOL connection
directly from C, Python, or Perl.  Then you can do whatever you want.
This will require some learning.

There are probably other options available, too.  The first is probably
the easiest.

-corey