Generic hint: you can always get additional debug information with -vv or -vvvv
from ipmitool

You have to specify the cipher suite you want to use as command line parameter
(default is 3 which you seemed to have disabled). The BMC needs to support the
specified cipher suite and of cause it should not be currently disabled.

If you want to use the optional/additional HMAC256 cipher suites from the DCMI
spec. / IPMI spec. Errata 6 you would need a version of ipmitool which supports
them.

e.g. ipmitool -I lanplus -C 17 -U user -P password -H host mc info

P.S: Since you did not specify which cipher suites your BMC actually supports
this is just guessing…