> > I don't know of any implementations that keep prefixes in a
> persistent
> > store. My expectaction would be that when the host is
> turned back on in
> > September, it will send an RS and get RAs and
> auto-configure itself without
> > any memory of the old prefix.
>
> No, the mobile node is not on its home network; it is away from home.

Ah, I didn't understand from your first message that you were asking about a
mobile node's home address. I thought you were asking about ordinary
auto-configured prefixes. Sorry.

> > Furthermore, I think the site administrator has screwed up
> by advertising a
> > two month lifetime and then trying to remove the prefix in
> one month.
>
> Maybe true. Which leaves the questions, why does 2462 give this as an
> example of network renumbering, why are lifetimes 32 bits and why does
> the RFC allow infinite lifetimes on network prefixes?
>
> This is academic anyway. The problem isn't necessarily that the old
> prefix doesn't go away fast enough. The problem is that a mobile node,
> away from home, may wake up from being turned off during a renumbering
> event, and have NO WAY to contact its home agent or even home network.
> Either it has stale prefix info, or NO prefix info, but with
> no binding
> at its home agent, and thus no tunneled router advertisements at any
> point during the renumbering, it doesn't have CURRENT prefix info.
> Whether the renumbering took place over a day, month, or year is
> immaterial - the mobile simply has to be away from home and
> not register
> with the HA when the renumbering starts, and then start using Mobile
> IPv6 after the network renumbering for the problem to arise.
>
> This was my original point, which perhaps I have not effectively
> described. There is a way around this, using DNS, but that requires
> services that may not be available on the visited network. I
> can not see
> a general and acceptable way to avoid this problem, but I
> remain open to
> suggestions.

I suspect people are willing to punt on this problem (of mobile nodes away
from home & turned off for an arbitrarily long time, while the home network
undergoes arbitrary reconfiguration). Do you think it's an important
scenario for some reason? As you hint, if the mobile node has a DNS name for
itself which is stable, then perhaps the DNS can provide the bootstrap. (If
the mobile node doesn't have a home DNS name, then what functionality is
Mobile IPv6 supposed to provide in this situation?) More generally, the
Mobile IPv6 spec doesn't solve the mobile node configuration problem.

Rich