> Proposal: update specs to require that nodes MUST run DAD on all
> addresses for which the interface identifier is NOT globally unique
> (per the setting of the 'u' bit in interface identifier). DAD can be
> skipped on addresses that contain IEEE EUI-64-derived interface
> identifiers (and for which DAD has already been run on the
> corresponding link-local address).

I would prefer the IPv6 address architecture leaves it open for future
address formats which do not use IEEE EUI-64 ID-format, and still have
all the machinery of Neighbor Discovery and ADDRCONF available.

Designs which force the stack to dig into insides of any id part are
very unappealing to me.

Address is n-bit prefix 128-n bit id, and as far as my current
implementation goes, the link layer may specify *any* n (0..128) to be
used [to prevent obvious replies, I do admit that the kinky values of
n=0 or n=128 may not quite work].

..although, one might consider a point-to-point link without link
layer addresses as "n=128".

--
Markku Savela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>