I'm finding hard time trying to find a good balance between BPF, and
        basic API.  advanced API (ancillary data) should fit somewhere
        inbetween.  RFC2292 had a good balance by limiting the ordering of
        headers to what is documented in RFC2460, and limiting itself from
        handling non-IPv6 headers like AH/ESP (i believe users do not want to
        manipulate AH/ESP from normal socket API.  also, how do you plan to
        handle IPsec-tunnelled packets?).
        by removing more limitations, we get closer and closer to BPF...

        i guess, if we follow the spirit of RFC2292, we first need to
        evaluate RFC2460, to see if we need to remove some of suggested header
        ordering constraints - MIP6 seem to conflict with it, with some reasons
        (i have trouble chasing recent MIP6 discussions, so i may be wrong).
        then, we design 2292bis to follow the new header ordering constraint.

        just a meta-thought.

itojun