I concur.  The flow label should be set by the source host and remain
immutable as it travels over the network.

Rich

At 12:20 PM 12/21/01 +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Tony is 100% correct in all his comments. I'd add that
>hop-by-hop options are not even on the radar screen for
>hardware implementation, but for QOS flows we absolutely
>need things that hardware can process at line speed.
>
>    Brian
>
>Tony Hain wrote:
> >
> > Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> > > What is wrong with a hop-by-hop option?  Isn't that the "right"
> > > mechanism for an IPv6 host to send a "message" that is processed
> > > by all routers in the path?
> >
> > Hop-by-hop options will be slower to process, and the point is that the
> > origin knows which packets belong together in any specific flow, and
> > there is no way the routers can deduce that. If the origin specifies
> > which packets belong together, there is no valid reason for anything
> > along the path to decide otherwise.

> > > No I'm not assuming that all routers in the path will understand
> > > the flow label.  I am assuming, though, that the flow label will
> > > only be _useful_ within an administrative system that has
> > > a consistent (or at least compatible) understanding of its meaning.
> >
> > I didn't state my argument clearly. I agree that not all routers along
> > the path may care to pay attention, but as you said your assumption is
> > that the ones that do are all are part of a single administrative
> > system. This is not reasonable to assume in the general case, so what I
> > am arguing is that routers in any independent administrative system in
> > the path have consistent information to base decisions on. How they
> > acquire the interpretation is independent of the fact that the bits are
> > consistent throughout.
> >
> > > I don't understand how these three systems can usefully interpret
> > > the same bits in two different ways.  If I am choosing a random
> > > flow label value at the source (with an "interactive system" that
> > > indicates its meaning out-of-band), why won't I just get random
> > > behaviour from the intermediate domain in your example?
> >
> > You might, but if we allow the intermediate domain to independently
> > modify the bits there is no hope that the remote domain can get it
> > right. As I said earlier, it is possible for the intermediate system to
> > provide a predictable behavior based on the additional knowledge of FL
> > without explicit knowledge of the semantics, but that might be more
> > along the lines of drop-probability than EF or the like.
> >
> > > Then, why not leave the specification of flow label semantics and
> > > rules to this same WG?
> >
> > Because the participants in those WGs have consistently proven they
> > don't understand the concept of an architecturally consistent immutable
> > field which the origin can trust.
> >
> > Tony

>FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
>Direct all administrative requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard A. Carlson                              e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Research Section                        phone:  (630) 252-7289
Argonne National Laboratory                     fax:    (630) 252-4021
9700 Cass Ave. S.
Argonne,  IL 60439