Brian,

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Margaret,
> [...]
> [Immutability isn't a requirement for this to be true, but immutablility
> also makes it unnecessary to have a string-of-SLAs all along the path for
> useful classification to be possible. I disagree with Alex on this -
> I really do think immutability is a requirement, even if it is subject to
> 'gentleman's agreement'.]
>
>    Brian

The mutability by itself does not require the flow setup mechanism (you
choose a string of SLAs) to say or do anything about it - by default,
routers would treat the flow label as immutable.

However, when for any reason, it is useful to have the field mutable,
the flow setup mechanism (SLAs, or anything else) MUST provide the
necessary information to a subset of routers on the path that modify the
field. The "subset" is anything between "one" to "all" routers on the
path.

Alex