Pekka, Dale, kre, others,
I consolidated several postings into one....

>>> Dan Lanciani wrote:
>>> An obvious reason would be that the one who wishes to subnet
>>> the /64 is not the same one who should have used a /48, with
>>> the former one having little control over the latter one.

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> A dial-up connection gets a /48.....

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> No, dial-up connection _should_ get a /48.

Pekka,
You are correct here. Since we are still in the early stages of
deployment, it would be worth fixing it now.

> And also consider e.g. dsl/dial-in internal to the
> company: they, for practical reasons, must get /64.

> Dale Sesvold wrote:
> This has been going on for quite and while.  And I keep asking
> myself -- Why not /60 for dialups? Its on a nice nibble and gives
> a good handfull of subnets for the SOHO.

Absolutely. If you dial into your company, there is nothing that I
know of that says you must get a /64. The allocation of the SLA
bits is at the discretion of the company's network administrator,
and allocating a /60 to the small number of sick individuals such
as myself that insist on having subnets in their home is perfectly
in line with RFC2373.

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> IMO, 2) adds no complexity.

Poor choice of words. What is the word you would use to qualify
violating RFC2373?

> I hope I made the problems with at least 4) sufficiently clear.

You have. As I said, I find your draft excellent, overall. Maybe a
good canditate for a BCP.

> kre wrote:
> But I dial into my university (and I have a routed net in my house,
> as do many on this list I guess).

That would be interesting to know, actually. I think that most of us
have an overkill setup at home, but I still have a single subnet.
(I actually bridge things such as the ATM PVC to manage the DSL modem
into the main subnet). However, I have an idle ethernet interface
on my router that I will likely make a separate subnet.

> (though very few current dial in users actually get more than /32 -
> just a few of us).

Same idea: These few of you can get a /60. A couple of beers with the
network admin (when it's not you) typically can arrange that. I teach
at University of California, I have my special drop behind the
firewall. Two Fosters. You and I represent 1/1,000,000th of the
population in terms of home setups. We should adapt to that fact,
instead of trying to bend the standards to fit our needs.

> But with a /64 allocated to me, and your theory of subnetting, how
> do I manage to number my house?

With a /64, you don't. And this is the point I am trying to make:
you should get bigger.

> And no, do not tell me to use a switch and a flat network, that
> isn't possible, and even if it were, I wouldn't do it.

Agree, I made that point myself a short while ago.

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> Anyway, I see why people see /126 and such as lucrative: they need
> to assign only _one_ /64 for all point-to-point links.  There might
> be e.g. a couple of hundred of them, and even though 200 of them
> could fit fine to 2^16 subnets, you'd still have to define the
> addressing a bit more carefully.

Actually, I don't see it that way.

The /126 way: 3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:BABE::/64 is the block for p2p links
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:BABE::/126  link 0
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:BABE::4/126 link 1
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:BABE::8/126 link 2
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:BABE::C/126 link 3

The /64 way: 3FFE:BEEF:CAFE::/52 is the block for p2p links
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE::/64   link 0
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:1::/64 link 1
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:2::/64 link 2
3FFE:BEEF:CAFE:3::/64 link 3

Personally, I find the /64 way simpler. In the example above, it eats
1/16th of the /48 and allows for 4,096 links. Organisations with more
than 4,096 links could use /51 or /50 and, if needed, request a /47
or a /46.

Michel.