I have to ask - because I've never heard it raised as an issue outside
this mailing list - has anyone ever heard a *network administrator* or
other customer of IETF protocols say that "configuring routers with what
is titled a host specific protocol will create more confusion than it
is worth."

If the name is truly a problem, I'm happy to follow up on the suggestion
that we rename DHCP to "Dynamic Node Configuration Protocol" or "Dynamic
Site Configuration Protocol" or "Yet Another Configuration Protocol".  I'm
having a hard time believing we're making technical decisions about
protocol design based on the *name* of the protocols involved.

Sheesh.

BTW, just to review some ancient history, I added the infamous sentence
"DHCP is not intended for use in configuring routers." (originally in
RFC1531 and carried forward to RFC1541 and RFC2131) to limit the scope of
the problem we were trying to solve.  That was (literally) 10 years ago.
Maybe it's OK now to reconsider that constraint.

The sentence is *not* included in draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-23.txt.

- Ralph