Folks,

I am getting tired in trying to argue for splitting
the IPv6 address space into two subsets, and for
perhaps reserving "a bit" in the IID, for the purpose
of providing footing for work on security MIPv6
and ND, and perhaps also securing other signalling
functions.

To me, the problems with end-host mobility and end-host
multihoming are just two faces of a more generic problem,
the end-point naming problem.  In that arena I am very
much in favour of Noel Chiappa's thinking.  I think
that we need a new end-point name space, and we even
have a decent candidate for that: HIP.

 From that point of view, Mobile IPv6 and CGA are
just stepping stones towards the direction that
I personally believe that we will head sooner or
later anyway.  I think that CGA and ABK are great
ideas that could make the current architecture
quite a bit more secure before doing the big transition
into separate end-point name space.

What comes to ND, securing ND is a hard matter
as long as the hosts do not have cryptographic
end-point identities.  Once they do, the problem
is *much* simpler to solve.  CGA and ABK seem to
help in this area quite much by providing a means
to still use addresses as primary end-point identifiers,
and to convert the addresses into public keys.
If we take the other approach of using public keys
as primary end-point identifiers, we do not any
more have that problem.  Or at least the problem
is different.

Thus, with these observations and expressions of
my personal beliefs, I hereby withdraw back to
my humble researcher chamber, and don't bother
your standardization work with too radical issues.

Yours sincerely,

--Pekka Nikander
   A poor researcher exhausted in the mill