>> x == -1: use kernel default.  That is, perform path MTU discovery
>> for unicast, and disable it for multicast.
>> x ==  0: always perform path MTU discovery.
>> x >=  1: always disable path MTU discovery and send packets at
>> the minimum MTU.
>> (values less than -1 are invalid.)

> I'd restate the text for -1 to say something like:
>       Perform path MTU discovery for unicast destinations but do not
>       perform it for multicast destinations. Packets to multicast
>       destinations are therefor sent with the minimum MTU.
> and separately state that
>       The default value of this option is -1.

Okay.

> Why the x >=1 as opposed to x == 1? To be compatible with existing
> applications?
> The reason I'm asking is because it looks a bit odd to disallow less than -1
> when greater than 1 is allowed.

I was afraid that there may be an existing implementation which tries
to set a positive but !=1 value to set the IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU option.
But, this is probably an imaginary fear...actually all implementations
that I know of use the value 1 for this purpose.  So, I basically
agree that it is more natural to restrict the positive value (to 1) as
well.

If there's no other opinion on this point, I'll restrict the positive
value in the revised text.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.