...but how about mobility?

The SGSN isn't an anchor point. It may change at any moment, when the mobile does an
SGSN handover to another Routing Area. The new SGSN doesn't have a clue about what
mcast groups the mobile has joined somewhere else.

The old SGSN might inform the new one about the groups, but that is architecturally
messy. So far GPRS is pretty agnostic about what protocol the mobile uses - IPv4,
IPv6, X.25(!), or even PPP. Integrating IPv6 mcast functions would violate the idea.
It would also mean that the SGSN has an IP interface that the mobile can see. That
violates the stratified model.

The feature would still need to be standardised as an extra parameter in GTP-C. Not
all SGSNs in a network come from the same vendor. 3GPP does have an unwritten
prohibition: disallow non-standard features that would lock an operator to a single
vendor.

-- Lassi