>get off the soap box... IPv6 requires a new API, so there is no valid
>argument that we are not changing it. If you want to argue that we
>should minimize the changes, I would agree.

        no more changes, *please*.  we have spent more than reasonable amount
        of years to settle down to RFC2553/bis.  and people are now using it.

        I would quote words from sendmail people - "first gethostbyname2,
        then gethostbyname3, then getipnodebyname, then you want us to
        switch to getaddrinfo?  how can we know that it will be the final one?"
        I was so embarrassed when i heard this.

itojun